Getting on Page One of Google
Building your business and growing your client list means getting introduced to folks that need your products or services. There are many methods to get your company in front of those people; networking, referrals, advertising campaigns and of course your website on the internet.
Today’s research indicate that 90% of consumers use the internet when evaluating a purchase. But how to get your website seen by your potential client. You have 2 options; Option One- you can pay to have your site on page one through purchased traffic, pay per click traffic as it is known. This method is effective however a term solution based on your budgets. Option Two – Search Engine Optimization – a free solution that takes longer to be effective but will have lasting results.
Search Engine Optimization
Making your site more Google friendly is a simple recipe and can put you ahead of your competition relatively quickly. Improving your ranking is a technique that is done page by page within your website. Each page should have a single theme, relevant content and keywords.
SEO is continuously a moving target as the search engines modify their algorithms constantly to improve the quality of web search results. Your best weapon to protect changing search environments is great relevant content.
Optimization Ladder – 7 Steps to a Better Ranking
Keywords – Target words related to Page Content
How to choose your keywords
- Create a list of 5 to 10 most relevant keywords for the page.
- Use Google AdWords. It is designed to help you it is free and effective tool.
- Once on Google AdWords, go in the Tools menu and select Keyword Planner.
- Select Search for new keyword and ad group ideas. This will bring you to a page where you can input the keywords you have written down as well as the address of the page you are optimizing and your product/service category.
- Once you have entered your information click on the Get ideas button.
- Right below the Search volume trends graphic, you will see two tabs; Ad group ideas and Keyword ideas. Click onKeyword ideas tab. It was a bit complicated to reach, but this is the magic page.
- Here, you can plug in your search terms (the keywords you wrote down) and find the average monthly searches for each of them. Now you know if people are actually searching for the keywords you came up with and how often they do so. You want to make sure the keywords you will be optimizing your page for are as popular as possible while still being very relevant to your page theme.
- Below your search terms you will find keyword suggestions from Google as well as their own average monthly searches. Look for relevant keywords with high average monthly searches.
- Now, come up with your final list of five relevant keywords with the highest average monthly searches. These will be your targeted keywords for optimizing your webpage. It is likely to be a combination of some of your own keywords and ones suggested to you by Google
Your page address is known as the URL. The words used in URLs is the key indicator for search engines dictating the content of the page. URLs should contain the most important keyword for that page. Only lower-case letters and numbers should be used, and dashes should replace spaces.
Page titles need to be unique and contain the top and most important word. Remember that the page title and must be compelling to the consumer and contain 60 characters or less.
Have a good page description, relevant and unique and no longer than 160 characters. Your description will influence and determine if the page fits the consumers needs of the search.
Website coding determined by your theme and designated <h1> the largest to < h6> the smallest. Defining the size, colour and type of your font.
As you see on this page, the headings define how the page appears to the reader.
Use target keywords in the headings with only one H1 heading per page with the main keyword in your title. Don’t over do it with the headings or keywords, too many keywords can hurt your ranking.
Image Alt Tags
The search engines can not see images, explaining in a simple manner what is on the image with a descriptive text will help the internet see what you have on your pages.
Eye-catching images are only effective when seen, but the only way for search engines to see them is the ALT tag associated with the image. Therefore creating ALT tags and including your targeted keywords in them is an effective SEO technique.
The search engines gauge relevance by seeing links on your pages to external content of similar nature. Using links within your page to external websites will add value to your content and improve your positioning on searches. Add links with discretion, limiting amount and verifying quality links to relevant material dictated by the keyword selection.
Using a Plug-in
Today’s websites are CMS driven by platforms such as WordPress. These platform developers work with application companies to create plug-ins that will assist in the implementation of best practices of SEO for your website. These developer monitor the fluctuation of the algorithms of search engines such as Google. I highly recommend the YOAST SEO plugin for entrepreneurs looking to improve their wordpress website rankings.
Don’t have time to constantly manage your content and the SEO of your site, Contact UBERgirl Inc. we offer effective SEO and Content management services.